Road Closures & Road Use

Roads can be closed permanently or temporarily by application to the Department of Resources.

Permanent Road Closures

When a road is closed permanently, its status changes from ‘road’ to ‘unallocated state land’. Depending on how the land is to be allocated, the area of road to be permanently closed may be:

  • incorporated into the applicant’s adjoining freehold or leasehold land
  • included in an existing reserve or set apart as a new reserve
  • dealt with by the issue of a term lease.

Temporary Road Closures

An application for a temporary road closure may be made when dealing with:

  • pipes for irrigation purposes that cross beneath the surface of the road
  • water channels for irrigation purposes that cross the road.