Archers Creek Rest Area
Large grassy day and overnight rest stop with picnic tables and toilets.
Lakeside Motor Inn & Caravan Park
Rocky Creek War Memorial Park & Rest Area
The Rocky Creek Memorial Park is situated on the 2/2nd Australian General Hospital laundry and medical stores site. It was the largest miliary hospital in the Southern Hemisphere — it had 3000 beds and treated over 60,000 patients from 1943 to 1945.
The first plaques dedicated in the park occurred on Victory in the Pacific (VP) Day in 1995. A special wall of remembrance was erected in 2009.
We are the custodian of the crown land and the park is developed and maintained in collaboration with the Rocky Creek War Memorial Park Committee.
Find out more about the park and VP Day celebrations.
Donations of $5/vehicle/night contribute to the maintenance of the war memorial and are greatly appreciated. Donations can be made at the Atherton Tableland Visitor Information Centre on the corner of Silo and Herberton Roads in Atherton.
- Camping is permitted for fully self-contained vehicles only.
- Camping in tents, cars, camper trailers and small campervans is not permitted. We have the right to move any unsuitable vehicles.
- The camp host will provide a registration form to complete.
- Registration is valid for 72 hours from date of signature.
- No illegal dumping of black or greywater.
- Use bins provided.
- Do not use generators. The camp host may make exceptions, depending on conditions at the site.
- No open fires.
- Ensure dogs are always on a leash, never left unattended and their waste is collected
- Toilets are provided for visitors to the war memorial and are open 8am–6pm.
Definition of Fully Self-contained
(Source: Campervan and Motorhome Club (CMCA) of Australia Self-Contained Vehicle Policy)
- No greywater is to be discharged from a self-contained vehicle unless allowable by local authorities or access to a dump point is impractical.
- Sinks hand basins and showers must drain to either an onboard (fitted) greywater tank or an external (non-fitted) greywater tank (tote).
- Totes must be connected to the vehicle by a drainage pipe with a watertight seal and have a working shut-off valve to avoid overflow.
- A tote may be used for discharging and transporting greywater from a vehicle to a disposal point, providing the vehicle discharge point has a permanently installed shut-off valve and the drainage pipe to the tote is connected by a watertight seal.
- When travelling, the portable greywater tote must be securely fastened within the confines of the vehicle so as not to cause a hazard.
- Liquid waste is not to be collected or removed in open buckets or containers.
- The vehicle shall have a freshwater tank or bladder specifically manufactured for the storage of potable water.
- The tank may be on-board (fitted) or external (non-fitted) and be of rigid construction with appropriate valves to prevent foreign matter or contaminants entering the tank.
- When travelling the tank must be securely fastened within the confines of the vehicle so as not to cause a hazard.
Sinks & Showers
- The vehicle must be fitted with an installed and plumbed sink. Additional sinks, hand basins and shower are optional.
- Every sink, hand basin and shower must be supplied with water from the fresh water tank, and must drain to a greywater tank. External showers used for ablutionary purposes and, in so doing create greywater, do not comply.
- External water outlets used for rinsing or filling are not seen as a greywater issue.
- Blackwater is to be contained in holding tanks or cassettes, to be disposed of in a dump point or, if no appropriate facility is available, in accordance with the CMCA Bush Camping Code.
- The vehicle must be equipped with a toilet, installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Portable toilets must be a proprietary brand manufactured for the specific purpose.
- When travelling, portable toilets must be securely fastened within the confines of the vehicle so as not to cause a hazard.
- You must have a sealable refuse container to hold rubbish for disposal.