The winners of the much anticipated and eagerly contested Tablelands Garden Competition were announced today at a ceremony at Tablelands Regional Council.
The judging panel this year consisted of Yungaburra resident and former landscape gardener Elizabeth Hamilton-Shaw and Deputy Mayor Kevin Cardew.
‘I lived in the UK, PNG, Cape York, Central Australia and Sydney before moving to Yungaburra,’ said Ms Hamilton-Shaw.
‘Wherever I have lived I have always had a garden and enjoyed the challenges from working in such diverse environments.
‘As my background is in the arts, I am particularly interested in the shape, colour, texture and form of plants, and their juxtaposition with each other,’ she said.
Deputy Mayor Cardew was impressed with the number and range of entries.
‘We received 19 nominations from across the region and judging was really tough because the gardens were all high calibre.
‘There were entries across six categories, but the rural and edible garden categories were the most popular.
‘We travelled to Atherton, Malanda, Millaa Millaa, Walkamin, Tolga, Kairi, Yungaburra, Peeramon and Herberton to see the gardens.
‘It was great to be invited onto these properties and fantastic to hear the gardeners’ personal stories and get insight into their gardening techniques.
‘It is amazing to see the difference in the nature in which gardens are put together given the range of climate and locations within our region.
‘I have nothing but admiration for the wonderful outdoor spaces our gardeners create.
‘I congratulate not only the winners of each category, but everyone who nominated and anyone who spends time in their garden,’ said Deputy Mayor Cardew.
Nominees and winners
Garden of the Year
Sandra and Dennis Paton, Atherton
- Dawn Muir, Peeramon — first place
- Enaide Freeman, Yungaburrra — second place
- Tony Mariott, Malanda
- Sandra and Dennis Paton, Atherton — first place
- Mick and Lynette Ferraro, Tolga — second place
- Sharyn Petersen, Walkamin
- Robyn Walmsley, Kairi
- Rita Kerin, Millaa Millaa
- Karen Paterson, Malanda
- Maria and Terry Obst, Malanda
- Malcolm and Sri MacKinnon, Tolga
- Maria and Terry Obst, Malanda — first place
- Malcolm and Sri MacKinnon, Tolga — second place
- Irene Chapman, Atherton
- Rita Kerin, Millaa Millaa
- Malanda Community Kindy
- Millaa Millaa Garden Club — first place
- Jubilee Christian College — second place
- Atherton Bowls Club
- Atherton-Herberton Historic Railway Inc
- Atherton NRMA Holiday Park — first place
- Millaa Millaa Caravan Park — second place
- Jubilee Christian College — first place
- Malanda Community Kindergarten — second place
Thank to Lakeside Garden Centre and Tajenka Orchid Gardens for their donations towards prizes.
Pictured: Garden of the Year Winners (L–R) Elizabeth Hamilton-Shaw (judge), Sandra Paton, Dennis Paton and Deputy Mayor Kevin Cardew (judge).