Extensions to Existing Tourist Parks

Wel recognise the important role tourist parks play in encouraging extended visitations in our region.

To ensure consistency with the proposed nature-based tourism amendments, the proposed Planning Scheme amendments introduce reduced levels of assessments for the expansion of tourist parks in certain zones.

What Uses Can be Established?

An existing tourist park may be expanded as accepted development if the property is in an appropriate zone and the use complies with the requirements of the Planning Scheme. Accepted development is development that does not need a development approval from TRC. Whether a project is accepted development depends on the property’s zoning and if local plans or overlays apply. The proposed development must also comply with the applicable assessment criteria. If not, it becomes code assessable and a development application is required.

It is always a good idea to confirm with us that your project is accepted development prior to commencing. These projects may also need building and plumbing certification so it is advisable to check with a private building certifier before starting work.

Accepted development was previously referred to as self-assessable development.

Where Is the expansion of Tourist Parks Encouraged?

Expansion of existing tourist parks is encouraged in these zones where they are not impacted by an overlay:

  • Rural Zone
  • Rural Residential Zone
  • Low and Medium Density Residential Zone
  • Community Facilities Zone
  • Recreation and Open Space Zone

Requirements & Limitations

For an existing tourist park to be expanded without a development approval it must be for a self-contained recreational vehicle ground and:

  • contain:
    • six self-contained vehicle sites in the Rural Zone (General Rural and Agricultural Land Precincts), Rural Residential Zone, Low and Medium Density Residential Zone, Community Facilities Zone, or Recreation and Open Space Zone.
    • 20 self-contained vehicle sites in the Rural Zone (Agricultural Investigation and Broad Hectare Precincts).
  • involve only the reuse of existing buildings
  • be on a site that is 2ha or larger with a road frontage of 50m and not a rear lot accessed via an easement
  • contain a maximum of 40 caravan or recreational vehicle motorhome sites per hectare of the tourist park area (alternative densities apply for multi-use tourist parks ie. cabins, tents and RVs).
  • contain sites that are a minimum of 100mwith a minimum dimension of 10m
  • contain sites and facilities that are setback
    • 50m from a common boundary with a property in the Rural Zone
    • 20m from a common boundary with any other zone
  • ensure the maximum length of stay is:
    • 13 consecutive nights in the Rural Zone (Agricultural Investigation and Broad Hectare Precincts)
    • six consecutive nights in all other relevant zones and zone precincts
  • provide vehicle access limited to one entry/exit on the lowest order road
  • contain sites that do not have direct access to a public road
  • provide internal roads that:
    • have minimum widths of 4m for one-way roads and 6m for two-way roads
    • facilitate unobstructed access for emergency vehicles
    • avoid flood- and bushfire-prone areas
    • have dedicated evacuation routes that are clearly signed.
  • provide these facilities (if the property accommodates 11 or more vehicles):
    • at least one unisex toilet
    • a central refuse collection bin
    • a dump point.