We provide unpaid work experience placements to school students, university students or job seekers in a variety of occupations throughout the Region. Work experience provides the opportunity to shadow employees and gain real on-the-job experience, skills and knowledge.
To be eligible you must be either be:
- a secondary school student, who is at least 14 years old
- a TAFE college student
- from an approved work experience referral agency
- a university student (if work experience is a mandatory requirement to complete your relevant course)
Work experience positions are unpaid and students must be registered with a recognised school, tertiary institution or referral agency that covers them for personal insurance and public liability.
Sections available for placement
Council can offer work experience in the following disciplines:
- Human Resources / Organisational Development
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Environmental Health
- Building Services
- Regulatory Support
- Financial Services
- Library Services
- Community Services
- Water and Wastewater
- Construction & Maintenance
- Parks and Gardens
All work placements are subject to the availability of resources and current workloads and therefore, in some instances, may not be accommodated.
For further information phone council on 1300 362 242 and ask to speak to the Supervisor of the area you wish to undertake work experience.
How to apply
To be considered for a work experience placement you will need to apply at least 4 weeks prior to the date you want to start. To apply:
1. Complete a Work Experience Expression of Interest Form.
2. Submit your application (Attention Human Resources) by either email to email@example.com, hand deliver to Atherton Office OR post to PO Box 573, Atherton QLD 4883.
3. Your request will be forwarded to the relevant section contact who will confirm whether the placement is available. If a placement is available, you will need to provide proof of insurance from your educational institution prior to Council confirming your placement.