The annual Yungaburra Triathlon will be held on the weekend of 22 & 23 April 2017.
Drawing over 500 competitors and 2,500 spectators in 2014 and 2015, the annual event is delivered by Tablelands Regional Council with the assistance of an organising committee made up of local business and community representatives. Sponsorship and registration fees cover the cost of the event, with 10% of registration fees donated to organisations that support returned service members.
After a review of other events in the region, the water level in Lake Tinaroo and in consideration of the safety of athletes, a decision was made to postpone the 2016 Yungaburra Triathlon to April 2017. In future, the Yungaburra Triathlon will be held near Anzac Day instead of Remembrance Day to show continued support for our returned service members and showcase our region’s strong military ties on:
- 21-22 April 2018
- 20-21 April 2019
- 18-19 April 2020
Changes to the course times and days in 2015 made a significant difference to the event program and limited, as much as possible, the impact to residents and business operators.
SATURDAY 22 April 3:00pm start
Kids Aquathon (7-9): 500m run | 100m swim | 500m run
Kids Aquathon (10-13): 1km run | 200m swim | 1km run
Enticer Distance: 400m swim | 10km bike | 2.5km run
Corporate Event: 400m swim | 10km bike | 2.5km run
SUNDAY 23 April 7:00am start
Olympic: 1.5km swim | 40km bike | 10km run
Sprint: 750m swim | 20km bike | 5km run
Individuals or teams can compete in each race.
When hosting an event of this magnitude, it is inevitable that there will be some impacts to the community. Temporary road closures are required to ensure the safety of competitors. Access to the Tinaburra Foreshore and boat ramp, Yungaburra, Peeramon and Lakeside will be restricted at times during the weekend of Saturday 22 & Sunday 23 April 2017. You should take this into consideration when planning your activities. Traffic will not be allowed through road closure points except in the case of an emergency. Pedestrians and cyclists will be permitted through road closures.
The town centre of Yungaburra will be accessible for the entire weekend with brief road closures on the Gillies Highway between the Yungaburra State School and Peeramon Road through to the Curtain Fig Tree, and also Lakeside Drive from approximately 6:30am to 9:30am on the Sunday morning.
Williams Avenue through to the boat ramp at Tinaburra will be closed to vehicular traffic during all races. Major roads will reopen on Sunday morning after the cycle leg is complete. The Yungaburra Triathlon Facebook page and Twitter will advise as soon as the roads reopen.
SATURDAY 22 April 2.30pm – 6.00pm*
Will affect access to Tinaburra Peninsula and boat ramp
Lakeside Dr, Tinaburra Dr, Williams Av, Harper Av and Martin St.
SUNDAY 23 April 6:30am – 9:30am*
Will affect access to Tinaburra Peninsula and boat ramp, Yungaburra, Peeramon and Lakeside
Major Roads closed:
- Intersection of Gillies Range Road & Malanda-Lake Barrine Road with a detour for vehicles travelling from the Gillies Range at this intersection
- Intersection of Gillies Range Road & between Short & Maple Sts
- Intersection of Gillies Range Rd & Pine St
- Intersection of Gillies Range Rd & Beech St
- Intersection of Malanda- Atherton Road & Curtain Fig Tree Road
- Intersection of Gillies Range Road & Curtain Fig Tree Road
Minor Roads closed:
- Intersection of Tinaburra Drive & Lakeside Drive
- Intersection of Tinaburra Drive & Williams Avenue
- Intersection of Tinaburra Drive (Williams Avenue) & Martin Street
- Intersection of Tinaburra Drive & Harper Avenue
- Intersection of Williams Avenue, Park Avenue & Barrine Road
- Intersection of Barrine Road & Lillypilly Lane
- Intersection of Barrine Road, Eacham Road & Maple Street
- Intersection of Maple Street & Ash Street
- Intersection of Peeramon Road & Jallard Road
- Intersection of Peeramon Road & Hunt Road
- Intersection of Peeramon Road & Russell Road /McKenzie Road
- Intersection of Peeramon Road, Anderson Road & Wharton Road
- Intersection of Peeramon Road & Croker Lane
- Intersection of Peeramon Road & Cornish Road
- Intersection of Peeramon Road & English Road
- Intersection of Peeramon Road & Ball Road
- Intersection of Ball Road & Foxwell Road
- Intersection of Ball Road & Williams Road
- Intersection of Curtain Fig Tree Road & Lawrence Road
- Intersection of Curtain Fig Tree Road & Chumbrumba Road
- Intersection of Curtain Fig Tree Road & Coleman Road
*Road closure end times are an estimate. As soon as cyclists have finished the bike course roads will re-open. Please check Facebook for updates.
Please consider participating in the event, volunteering or supporting the athletes at the Tinaburra foreshore or along the cycle or run courses.